- Please read these Terms and Conditions of Service carefully. By using this website, and/or any services provided by Journey Genetic Testing, LLC, whether by phone or through one of our websites, you agree that you understand, accept, and are bound by these Terms and Conditions, including all amendments made from time to time. You represent and warrant that you are agreeing to these Terms on behalf of yourself and any other persons, you purport to represent by the submission of their samples. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, you agree not to use this website or its services.
- Journey Genetic Testing, LLC (hereafter referred to as Journey or Journey Genetics), and any other web domain names operated by Journey or our parent company, is intended to provide you with DNA testing services. The DNA test reports are intended to provide you with laboratory test results to be used by you for your personal use only. Our services are not intended to provide you with any medical or legal advice. We assume no responsibility for how you use the information you obtain from this site and its services. You may use this website and the services provided for your personal, non-commercial purposes. This website is intended for use by individuals who are over 18 years of age. Journey is not responsible for any misuse of this site, intentional or non-intentional.
Limitations of Liability and Disclaimer
- Journey and it’s employees, contractors, testing facilities and laboratories, and their respective vendors and employees are not liable in any way for any damages, costs or expenses incurred for any reason in connection with the use of Journey products or services, or in connection with the DNA tests, the use and/or disclosure of the test results, or other personal information. In respect to direct loss, the total liability for any and all claims, whether arising from negligence or otherwise, shall not exceed the price of the amount paid, if any, directly to Journey for its service.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Journey and its affiliated companies, suppliers, partners, directors, officers, agents, employees and representatives of each of them, from and against all claims, losses, costs and legal fees arising out of your activities in connection with your use of this site and its services, any violation of the Terms and Conditions for using this site, and any content that you make available on Journey sites including but not limited to any violations of copyright or trademark or the rights of any party.
- You are not permitted to copy or distribute any materials presented to you on the Journey site, including but not limited to, logos and text. Logos are Trademarks and Service Marks of Journey, and all text is copyrighted material.
- This site and services associated with this site are provided by Journey without any representations or warranties of any kind regarding the operation of this site and the content contained in this site. Journey makes no representations concerning the suitability, reliability or accuracy of the contents of its site or the contents posted by users to the site, or the testing results for any particular purpose. In no case will Journey be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of this site and its services, including direct, indirect, or punitive damages, even if advised of the possibility thereof. Journey and its affiliated companies disclaim all warranties with respect to the site and any content contained thereon and the submissions and any responsibility to archive or maintain such submissions.
- Journey reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to terminate your use of Journey sites and services for any reason at any time, including a belief by Journey or its Representatives that you have violated these Terms and Conditions. Termination can include deletion of your account and all related information associated with your account. There will be no refund due in these cases. Journey is not liable to you or to any third party for any termination of your services and/or deletion of your content from the Journey site. All testing services, or additional services, must be prepaid prior to any action on the part of Journey. Journey does not accept any DNA specimens, or requests for testing, prior to payment, and will refuse to test any samples not ordered and/or paid for, or ship any collection kits, or provide a Make Your Own Kit (MYOK) submission letter, prior to payment in full.
- By submitting a sample for DNA analysis, you as the customer warrant that you have the right to take and submit such samples for DNA testing, and that you provide Journey and it’s testing laboratory with authorization to conduct the DNA testing on the samples. By submitting a sample for DNA testing you warrant that either you are the owner of the sample, or have full authority by the owner of the sample, to submit the DNA sample for testing. Minors must have approval and written consent from their legal guardian(s), and a copy of said signed consent will be provided to Journey upon request. A customer who submits a sample for DNA testing, who is violation of the above, or does not have authority to submit, or cannot provide a copy of the written request if requested, understands and agrees that they are in violation of Journey’s terms of service, and further understand and agree that their case will be cancelled, and no refund given under any condition in these cases.
Replacement Collection Kit
- In the event that you lose, damage, or for any reason need an additional DNA collection, and delivery confirmation through the USPS website verifies delivery of the kit, or there is proof of sending a Make Your Own Kit letter electronically by evidence of an email time stamp showing both the time sent and the email address sent to (as indicated on the order form) a replacement kit, or Make Your Own Kit electronic letter, may be issued for $25.00. The ordering person will need to submit a support ticket and instructions will be provided if this option is necessary. The URL for completing a support ticket is https://dna-paternity-testing.com/customer-support/.
Method of Payment
- The following methods of payment are accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Pre-paid cards with the MasterCard or Visa logo may also be used. PayPal may be used to process payments if you already have, or choose to sign up for, a PayPal account. Orders of $99.00 and higher may also apply for a “Buy Now, Pay Later” plan through Sezzle, as provided on our order forms. The choice to extend credit, set up payment plans, or process payment methods, belong solely to the payment processors, including but not limited to Stripe, PayPal, and Sezzle. Journey has no involvement or influence in payment processing. Payment must be made in full of any outstanding charges before the results of the DNA test are released to the customer. In the event an invoice is sent for additional services requested, Journey will use the processor of their choice for payment on the invoice.
Service Fees and Testing Information
There will be a cost for any additional services that are needed and that are not included in the initial order. The following fees will apply in all cases when, in the sole determination of Journey, it is necessary to complete the testing ordered. All fees are prepaid and non-refundable.
- Re-activating an account once it has been declared inactivate or closed (Journey has final decision on this): $100.00
- Repackaging/Re-sending samples delivered to a non-laboratory address: $45.00
- Replacement kits (USA): $25.00 per kit which includes domestic shipping only via USPS Priority Mail
- Replacement kits (International): $50.00 (includes shipping via USPS First Class International Mail).
- Private mailed report after order has been completed : $35.00 (includes domestic USPS Priority shipping only).
- Legally admissible mailed report: $50.00 (includes domestic USPS Priority shipping only).
- Additional e-mails of DNA testreport after initial delivery by email (within 30 days of results being emailed): $25.00.
- Testing any additional submitted sample after the first DNA sample is submitted, even if such sample failed to yield a DNA profile: $100.00 per sample.
- Testing of additional persons added to the testing, or additional testing with existing samples, per test, per report requested: $125.00.
- Testing bone samples (other than teeth): $575 per sample in addition to standard stated testing charges based on the testing ordered. Journey reserves the right to accept or reject, for any reason, this type of sample for testing.
- Administrative fee for changing information on test orders, or changing the information needed by the lab to compete testing: $25.00 per 15 minute segment.
- Storage of DNA samples at lab while waiting for additional samples to arrive. $10 per day, up to a maximum to the cost of the purchase price of the test. This fee may be waived if all DNA specimens ordered arrive within ninety (90) days of the date of the order placed with Journey.
Governing Law & Jurisdiction
- This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Oregon, United States of America. You agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Oregon courts.
Modifications to the Agreement and the Service
- Journey reserves the right at its sole discretion to modify or discontinue any aspect of this site and the services it provides, these disclaimers, this agreement, and the terms and conditions of this agreement at any time without notice. Any changes to this agreement will be reflected in this section of the Journey. If you continue to use Journey services after a change is posted to the Terms and Conditions section of the Journey website, this means that you have accepted and are bound by the changes.
Journey Genetic Testing, LLC Details
- Journey Genetic Testing, LLC is registered in the State of Oregon. Our current business hours are located on our Contact page of this website. All times are based on the Pacific Standard Time Zone.
Private At Home DNA Tests (Non-Legal DNA Testing)
When you order a non-legal DNA test, for any relationship, you are purchasing only the DNA collection kit and administrative costs for setting up your case. Your kit (or Make Your Own option) includes complimentary laboratory processing for the type of test, and individuals, listed on your order form, if all samples are received by the lab no later that ninety days after your order date. If samples are received at the lab between the ninety-first day and the one hundred and eightieth day after the order, a reactivation fee will apply, as the time frame for complimentary testing will have expired. Cases are closed, with no refund due, for cases where all samples for testing arrive after the one hundred eighty first day from the date of the order. Ordering and paying for a DNA test from Journey Genetic Testing indicates you have read and agreed in full to this policy.
- Order processing may take between 1-3 business days, although every effort is made to process and mail testing kits the same business day. You can expect to receive your testing kit from 2-14 business days from the date of your order depending on the location you requested your kit to be shipped to (domestic receipt of orders is usually 2-4 business days, orders shipped outside of the U.S.A, may arrive between 6-15 business days). We will make every effort to ship your package as quickly as possible. Journey is not responsible for any delays from the USPS, or delays from any country outside the United States, once the order is shipped.
- Duty and Taxes: For international orders, a customs duty may be incurred (the amount of which is determined by your country of residence). This is the sole responsibility of the person ordering a DNA testing kit. Any delays due to Custom’s regulations is out of our control and not the responsibility of Journey.
- Domestic orders are shipped via USPS Priority Mail. International orders are shipped USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware that once we ship your item, it is out of our control. We are not responsible for any lost packages. Upon shipment, you will receive a confirmation email with your tracking number by the USPS. For domestic and international orders, you can track your package at USPS.com. Once your order has shipped, please directly contact USPS with any inquiries about the status of your package.
- Journey is not responsible for unexpected shipping delays caused by circumstances such as severe weather or natural disasters. Similarly, we are not responsible for unexpected shipping delays caused by circumstances related to the courier itself, such as clearance delays. In cases such as these, please directly contact your courier with any inquiries about the status of your package.
- In the case that the USPS is unable to deliver a package due to any address entered by the customer, the customer’s refusal to pay duties, multiple failed attempts to reach the customer at point of delivery, or otherwise, Journey is not responsible for payment of return shipping costs levied by the courier. Similarly, Journey is not responsible for the payment of re-shipping the DNA kit, or reports, to the customer. In cases such as these, the customer is responsible for all shipping costs associated with returned packages due to failed delivery.
- If an address was provided in the order form, and the kit must be to be re-delivered as a result of the USPS not being able to deliver to the address provided, the cost is $25 for the replacement kit, for delivery to a USA address, and $50 for delivery to an address outside of the USA. In the event the kit is returned as non-deliverable, and a payment for the new kit is not provided within 72 hours of notification by email to the ordering party of such a return, the case will be placed in an inactive status. Standard fees to reactivate a case will apply.
- Journey provides a prepaid label in Journey testing kits, and Make Your Own Kit orders, to USA addresses. If the samples returned from the client to Journey are determined by the carrier providing the return to require additional shipping fees, it is the responsibility of the client to pay such fees prior to sending the samples to the lab. Locations outside of the USA are responsible for the cost of returning their DNA specimens, by the carrier of their choice. Journey recommends that such shipments are with a tracking number to allow the customer to know the location and delivery schedule of their shipment.
By purchasing a DNA test from Journey Genetic Testing, either through our online order form, or over the phone, you are accepting, and agreeing to the following refund policy. You are also agreeing that you understand, and accept, that there are no exceptions to this policy.
- If a written (email) request for a refund is requested prior to the shipping of the collection kit, or the email has sent in the case of a Make Your Own Kit (proof of which is the time stamp showing the email was sent), a refund processing fee of $35.00, and a $25.00 administrative fee per shipment or case scheduled, will be deducted. Any and all shipping costs, including international shipping and second addresses, etc. are non-refundable and will be deducted from any amount refunded. Any prepaid labels that were provided, sent by either USPS or electronic delivery, will be deducted in the amount of $25.00 per label provided, from any amount refunded.
- Due to the personalized nature of the DNA collection kits, including the Make Your Own Kit option, which is customized for each client, all payments are final and no refunds will be processed once the collection kit, or in the case of a Make Your Own Kit email, is sent (either by carrier or electronically). DNA collection kits are considered sent once the shipping label has been generated. For Make Your Own Kit orders, when your order is processed and case set up, we will email your case number, sample collection and mailing instructions. This email constitutes receipt of service/merchandise in lieu of the DNA collection kit.
- All refund inquiries must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Refund requests cannot be taken over the phone. All refund requests must be sent from the email address provided at the time of the order, to verify the identify of the person requesting the refund. Refunds for DNA or paternity test kits, internet sales or specials, and international orders will not be issued: all orders are final once the shipping label has been created, or the Make Your Own Kit email has been electronically sent.
- A fee of $35.00 per person scheduled for a legal DNA collection will be deducted from any refund amount on legal testing, in addition to the above stated deductions, regardless of whether the collection is completed or not.
Submitting Samples For Testing
- After purchasing a Journey DNA paternity test or family relationship test (sibling DNA test, grandparent test, twin zygosity test, or avuncular test) whether a kit is ordered or you choose the Make Your Own Kit option, you have ninety (90) calendar days to collect the DNA samples and send those samples to the lab for testing. If all DNA samples ordered are not received at the laboratory, and testing is not initiated within ninety (90) days of the purchase date, the account will become inactivate/closed. It is understood, and agreed, that there are no refunds for accounts that have become inactive and closed under any conditions.
- Samples must be submitted with the same names for the those being tested as indicated on the order form. If different names are submitted for testing, or different individuals are requested to be tested from those listed on the order form, or a different test is requested to be performed after ordering, there will be a $25 administrative fee due per change, as well as any difference in the cost of testing. In the event the change of test is less than the amount originally paid, no refund will be due.
- Once a DNA sample is submitted to the laboratory, it will be consumed for the purpose of the DNA test. No DNA samples will be returned to the submitter, whether fully tested or not.
- While in some cases Journey may provide a prepaid return envelope to USA addresses, it is the responsibility of the ordering party to make certain that the DNA samples arrive at the lab during this time period. Journey is not responsible for any samples that do not arrive in the time frame stated above. It is the ordering parties responsibility to record any tracking information on return mailers to determine if the samples have been delivered to the lab. Journey does not record return mailer tracking numbers nor is Journey responsible for providing such tracking numbers on the clients private page or through email.
- The decision on whether to re-open the case belongs to Journey alone, and the decision made by Journey is agreed to be final, and not able to be appealed.
- Whenever possible, it is always recommended to include/test a known parent of the child in question to a second-order index test to allow the most conclusive results possible. Sibling, grandparent, avuncular, and paternity testing may add the mother at the time of the order at no additional cost. If additional parties are added after the testing has been completed, or additional testing is requested using existing samples, there will be additional fees for testing.
- Second order index testing include the Avuncular, Grandparent, and Sibling test. Second order index tests are typically used to determine the percentage of probability that two people share a biological relationship. The test is strictly a statistical analysis of the biological material two people have in common. The results of a second order index test will determine whether two people are more or less likely to be related based on the genetic material exhibited by each person and the result will determine an avuncular, grandparent or siblingship index.
- Sibling test results provide a probability of relationship between one known (primary) sibling and one or more additional siblings. Primary siblings are determined by a) being listed as the primary sibling on the order form, or b) the first sibling listed as being tested if no primary sibling is designated. If information is provided on the order form that indicates the testing should be conducted differently that what is ordered, Journey will use that information to determine the best type of test to perform. The decision of Journey is final in these cases. If two or more of the individuals performing a half sibling test are known cousins, there is a possibility that a false inclusion may occur due to the high percentage of DNA shared between those two relationships. A direct paternity test with both suspected fathers in these cases is encouraged to be performed in place of a sibling test when a cousin relationship exists. We are unable to perform testing between known cousins to determine a half sibling relationship.
- Grandparent and Avuncular testing results show the probability of relationship between a child (minor or adult) and a suspected relative (grandparent or aunt or uncle).
- If the index is less than 1.00, this indicates likelihood of non-relatedness. If the index is greater than 1.00, this indicates that the two tested individuals are more likely to be true biological relatives: The higher the value of the index, the greater the likelihood that the two individuals are true biological relatives. Second-order index tests may not provide conclusive results in all cases.
- Upon ordering testing services, either by phone, or on a Journey owned website, all customers agree that they are familiar with, and agree to abide by, the Journey explanation of second order testing, and understand and agree, that all testing fees are final, regardless of the results provided. It is also understood and agree to that there are no exceptions to this policy.
- The average processing time for paternity/maternity or relationship testing is approximately 1-2 working days, depending on the test, from the date that the specimen is received by the laboratory. Y-Chromosome testing requires 5 business days once all samples have arrived. Prenatal paternity testing can take 3-7 days depending on whether expedited processing is chosen, and paid for, when placing the order. As with any biological testing, some exceptions may occur. Any dates quoted by the Journey to you for the provision of the service are approximate and do not have any contractual effect, and shall not be treated as being of the essence of the Contract. Journey will not be liable to you for any loss or damage direct or indirect, caused or occasioned by any delay howsoever arising from the performance of the service. The typical reasons for extended testing are:
- Poor DNA sample quality
- The need for more genetic markers to be examined.
- Names and/or relationships different from what was ordered.
- The priority of the laboratory is the quality of the testing and the absolute accuracy of the results. The 1-2 business day turnaround time cannot be guaranteed if an exception is encountered, and the laboratory will not under any circumstances sacrifice the quality of the test in order to speed up the turnaround time. Exceptions may take an additional 5 business days in some cases. By submitting a DNA sample for testing, you indicate that you understand and accept this possibility.
Non-Standard Alternative DNA Samples
- Any sample submitted for DNA testing other than a buccal/cotton swab or blood card (FTA card) from a certified Medical Examiner is considered an alternative non-standard sample. Non-standard samples require a viability test prior to standard testing. There is an additional fee for each non-standard sample submitted for testing. All non-standard sample fees must be paid for prior to sending the sample to the lab. No testing will occur on non-standard samples that have not been paid for prior to testing.
- Journey is not responsible for the quality or suitability of any such sample submitted. Different samples have various degrees of success when performing DNA tests. It is understood and agreed that by submitting such a sample that there may be times that insufficient DNA profiles may be obtained from the samples submitted and the sample may not be suitable for testing. It is understood and agreed that by having the testing laboratory exam the DNA sample provided, whether a successful DNA profile is obtained or not, that the testing has been completed and that no refund will be made if the sample is not compliant (unable to provide a DNA profile to be tested). If an additional sample is desired to be sent there will be an additional fee charged prior to testing for the new DNA sample.
- By submitting the sample, the customer agrees that they have complied with the sample collection instructions provided in the kit or on our website. If we find out during the testing, or after the testing has been completed, that your sample or any required documentation is non-compliant because the instructions were not followed, or if the samples have been deliberately tampered with, the case will be closed and no report will be issued. There will be no refund of fees paid under any condition for non-compliance. If additional testing is requested, the full cost of a new test will be charged.
Legal DNA Testing
- Legal DNA testing results are available through Journey testing and our partner AABB accredited laboratory. AABB requirements state that a third party, who has no interest in the outcome of the testing, must receive the legal DNA kit(s). Journey may be requested to send a legal DNA kit(s) to a certified collector/collection site based on the zip code provided on the order form. There is no guarantee of a collection site in every zip code. We will send the kit to the closest location in these cases and notify the ordering party of the location, via email, after the kit(s) has been shipped. Journey is not responsible for any collection fee that may be required. If we are notified by the collector that a collection fee is due and has not been paid, testing will be halted or results not released, until payment to the collector is made.
- Missed appointment fees for legal DNA testing of $35 per person scheduled, will apply in addition to other costs associated with processing your order, if the appointment is not cancelled at least one full business day, which is 24 hours, (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays). Mobile DNA collection fees and shipping for legal DNA test kits are non-refundable. Rescheduling fees may apply at the rate of $35 per person, and are at Journey’s sole determination.
Disclosure of Account Information
- Journey will not, under any circumstance, discuss a case or testing results with any person, including the ordering party over the phone. All requests for information concerning a case must be submitted on a support ticket. Any phone calls regarding current cases will be referred to the support form. The reason for this is as follows:
- We value your privacy. By requesting all communication be via email to the email address provided at the time of the order, we seek to eliminate the possibility of any unauthorized person or persons obtain information they do not have a right to; We use the written communications as part of your case file. This allows us to review in an objective manner any issues that may arise on your case and helps eliminate communication errors before and after the case is completed. Support tickets are answered in most cases within 24 hours during regular business hours. By using this website you agree to this method of communication and understand our reasons for doing so.
- If a third parties accesses your test results, you will defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Journey against any liability, costs, or damages, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of claims or suits by such third parties based upon the test results or relating to such access and use.
DNA Test Results
- Each private test includes one digital report that will be electronically provided to the ordering party on a private client page that will be created once all samples have arrived at the lab that are to be tested. In the event any additional services are requested, and Journey chooses to provide those additional services, additional fees will apply. Please see the section titled Service Fees and Testing Information above for a list of additional fees. A report is considered delivered once it has been posted and an email notification is sent to the email address associated with the order.
- Specific results are not guaranteed. In most cases a conclusive result can be obtained, however as we are unable to determine what each genetic profile is prior to receiving the DNA sample, this cannot be guaranteed. There are a small number of cases that may require additional alleged or known family members to be added to the case for a stronger result.
- Journey makes no guarantee that the test results and Journey’s documentation will be error free, accurate, reliable, or that the service will achieve or produce any particular result, or that the results of the service will be accepted by a particular entity. You may wish to obtain independent legal advice.
Case Completed or Closed
A case is considered completed and closed upon electronic posting of testing results, and the sending of an email notification the information may be viewed. Journey is not responsible for e-mail addresses that have been changed or are no longer valid to receive notification of results being completed. It is the sole responsibility of the ordering party to provide any updated information, along with proof of identify when requesting a change, as may be required at Journey’s sole discretion. Any changes must be submitted in writing through a support ticket for changes to personal information.
Results are available for thirty (30) days from the date of the results being posted, and are located in the secure client portal. At the option of Journey, any results may be deleted from our system, and no longer available after the 30 day period from when results are sent, to ensure privacy of your information. We are unable to provide support to cases once the information is no longer in our system as we are unable to verify the information on the report.
The signatory agrees not to post or transmit, or assist in the posting or transmission, of any content that is defamatory or detrimental to Journey by any third party, but if found to have done so is responsible for all legal costs in connection with the matter.
We do not warrant that any websites posted by the Journey will be error-free, accurate, reliable, or will achieve or produce any particular result the Journey makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the website, the information, content or materials included on the website or services provided in connection with the website.
These Conditions are made between Journey and you, and shall not be assignable by you. The Journey may assign these Conditions and sub-contract the performance of the Contract in whole or in part.
Journey reserves the right to seek all remedies available at law and in equity for violations of these Conditions.
These Conditions, supersede any prior or contemporaneous agreements, communications and proposals, whether oral or written, between you and the Journey (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of these Conditions). You acknowledge that you have not entered into this Contract in reliance upon any warranty or representation made by the Journey or any other person and you waive any rights to damages/rescission you may have for misrepresentation payment method instructions.
All notices other than refund requests shall be given to the Journey via email at email@example.com.
Journey shall not be liable for any failure in the performance of its obligation under the Contract caused by factors or circumstances outside of its control including but not limited to any act of God, war, strike, lockout, industrial action, breakdown of systems or network access, flood, drought, storm or other event beyond the Journey’s control.
If any part of these Conditions is unenforceable (including any provision in which the Journey excludes its liability to you) the enforceability of any other part of these Conditions will not be affected and the unenforceable provision shall be replaced by an enforceable provision that comes closest to the intention underlying the unenforceable provision.
No waiver by Journey of any term or condition set forth in these Conditions shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or condition or a waiver of any other term or condition. The Journey’s failure to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Conditions shall not be construed as a waiver of any right.Order A DNA Test